Since its inception, the mission of Africa Partners Medical (APM) has been to prevent needless death in Africa through providing continuing medical education (CME) and equipment to local health care workers in West Africa. For over a decade we have partnered with our valued colleagues in Africa to provide state of the art CME courses on an annual basis. There have also been smaller scale efforts that have targeted specific areas of need (e.g. focused training in endoscopic skills and laparoscopic surgical techniques).
We have the exciting opportunity this coming July 2013 to launch another initiative to target an area of considerable need. The Africa Partners Medical Ghana (APMG) board of directors has the vision to develop a local training center for various forms of basic and advanced life support. They have asked us to partner with them to equip a group of local physicians, nurses, and midwives with the necessary knowledge, skills, and equipment to serve as instructors of basic and advanced life support courses to be offered to health care workers throughout the country. We truly believe that this kind of training has the potential to save countless lives if it can effectively delivered across the country.
This is no small task but after prayerful consideration we believe the Lord will provide the guidance and resources necessary to get this program started successfully.
- Dr. Jim Homme (Pediatric Emergency Medicine), Dr. Jay Homme (Pediatric Medicine) and Dr. Malinda Harris (Neonatal Medicine) are preparing course materials to teach newborn resuscitation and basic life support for both children and adults. The materials are from the “Helping Babies Breathe” curriculum from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Basic Life Support course from the American Heart Association.
- APMG board will identify 8-10 individuals for us to train to become instructors and also promote the course.
- Courses will be held in Accra, Ghana Monday July 8th – Friday July 12th, 2013 with the goal of training instructors (train the trainer model) along with up to 150 additional participants.
How can you help?
- We’d ask for your continued prayers for the people we are serving in Africa and the mission of Africa Partners Medical.
- We’re asking you to consider a tax-deductible donation toward this new initiative.
Current Financial Support Needed:
- $3500 for equipment to start the local training center (includes tax and shipping)
- $210 will purchase full training package for Helping Babies Breathe Curriculum (Goal: 2)
- $125 will purchase an additional “NeoNatalie” Newborn Simulator (Goal: 2)
- $465 will purchase a “Family Manikin Training Pack” which includes one adult, one child,
and one infant manikin (Goal: 4)
- $126 will purchase replacement parts for each size manikin (Goal: 1)
- $450 will purchase an automated external defibrillator (AED) trainer (Goal:1)
- $10,000 for renovations to convert existing APMG office space into sustainable training center.
If you would like to partner with us to help bring this vision to a reality please consider a tax-deductible
Please feel free to contact either of us if you have questions or input. Thank you so very much!
Drs. Jay and Jim Homme
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
On Behalf of the Board of Africa Partners Medical
|"We could go and treat a few people, but the impact of continuing medical education to empower local physicians to care for their own people provides the opportunity to improve the standard of care to large numbers of people."
- Bart Clarke, M.D.